Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Something that Made a Mark

Author's Note:

The reason I chose this particular piece is because last year I never got the chance to finish this piece. In this piece I was trying to work on word choice. In the past I haven't quite succeeded in that category.

Have you ever been in a moment where you can feel someone behind screaming I told you so? Where right as you’re having an amazing time, the world comes crumbling down on you. Then, you're starting feeling pain all in one spot. And you look down and say "Wow that's a lot of blood."

One day in second grade my brother Jordan had a basketball tournament and our entire family came along. During one game I was hanging out with my brother's friends little sisters. We were just acting like us which means running and having fun. We were talking under the bleachers while playing a game of tag and we saw the person who was “it” so, we ran away. As the clumsy person I am, I tripped on the edge of the bleachers on a sharp piece of metal that sliced a chunk of my skin and it was gushing blood. Then, I told my friend to tell her mom. I was lying on the ground screeching extremely loud with pain. And as mad as I was at that moment, everything of course had to get worse. There just so happens to be a little boy that was staring at me with a blank face and he said "Are you okay?” In the most annoy ingest voice in the world at the worst possible moment.  So, I just ignored him. Everyone in the whole building was staring at me and all the basketball games stopped and more people were staring! My dad came over and the assistant coach came over as well with a medical kit and wrapped pre-rap around my ankle. He wrapped tons of layers around my ankle. Next, my dad picked me up and was walking fairly quickly to our van and my mom drove off to the nearest hospital with me and family friend.

What I remember next, was that I got to the hospital and nurses all came to me and put me in a wheel chair and rolled me into a room, while me mom was signing papers for me. The nurses put me on a nice comfy bed and I got to watch T.V. Next, they started putting this goop on me and they said it was supposed to numb the area. The numbing medicine felt cold and was dripping off my ankle. About 5 minutes later my ankle felt like it couldn't move and if it did then I would have no control over it and I would fall.

Then everything was ready for the doctor to come in and begin the procedure. I was so scared while he was putting gloves on and picking up utensils that seemed intense and sharp. Everyone was prepared for operation but the only thing is, that I wasn’t, I was terrified of what was going to happen next. My stomach was starting to swell up and I felt like I was going to pass out.

Later on, very late at night they finished putting stitches on my ankle. My mom’s friend gave me the bracelet she was wearing and said “You can have this for being so brave.” Then a nurse gave me a wheel chair once again and I was practicing using it, and I ramming into things and making a lot of noise. Eventually when we got to leave the hospital they let me take the wheel chair with me for the rest of the time I was at my brother’s tournament.  Once we got back to the hotel I was extremely excited, the only reason I like going to my brother’s tournaments is to go swimming. So, I asked my mom if I could go swimming and she said no because she didn’t want any of the stitches to come out or anything to get infected, which made me want to scream and act like a little child. The only thing that I could do while everyone was swimming was sitting with the parents and eating food. I was not happy. At least there were different varieties of delicious snacks. After my long dramatic day of pain I started get very sleepy so I knew it was time to hit the hay but, before I fell asleep my dad gave me a stuffed animal, and a huge bag a tootsie pops. Which proves a point; when you’ve had a bad day it can always get better with candy! Now, speed forward about 5 years.

Still to this day I have the mark to that one day I tripped under the bleachers. I will never forget any of the little moments that happened that day; candy, the bracelet, wheel chair and many more. The interesting thing about my scar is that you can tell when I grow because the scar moves up my leg! When I got the mark it was at my lower ankle almost my foot, and now it’s about 2 or 3 inches above it. Every now and then when my dad and brother see the scar on my ankle we retell the story and my dad says it look like an L meaning “Listen” because he told me not to go under the bleachers. My brother says it’s an L for “Loser”. And I personally think it looks like a boomerang.

I think the lesson in all of this is that when your parents tell you something you should probably listen. When you think something will be tons of fun it might end up in trouble and your parents know best. And when you don’t listen to them you might end up like me, a girl who was looking for mischief and ended up with a huge cut on her leg, and now a scar for life.

2 comments:

  1. This is a really compelling story to read. I enjoyed the way that you wrote it, and how it so clearly goes into detail from beginning to end. The fact that you used details also about ow you felt, and how you remembered feeling at all the different points of the story brought the details to life. One of the most common mistakes for writers is to tell a story, but forget to bring it to a conclusion, to make a point. You, however, do that really well. There is a touching point a the end. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow this is a very neat story this is definitely a story to tell people.

    ReplyDelete